The plasma derived therapy market has presented a growth of USD 18 billion in 2022 and is expected to hit around USD 34.91 billion by 2032, poised to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.9% during the forecast period 2023 to 2032.
- North America region held 53% revenue share in 2022.
- Asia Pacific plasma derived therapy market is growing at a CAGR of 7.8% during the forecast period.
- By product, the immunoglobulin segment is growing at a CAGR of 7.3% between 2023 to 2032.
- The albumin segment is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 7.7% during the forecast period.
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura segment size was estimated at around USD 610 million in 2022.
The huge number of people suffering with rare diseases has helped this market to attain great heights in a very short period of time. Diseases such as primary immunodeficiency disease, von Willebrand disease and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura are among the few major disorders That have contributed significantly to the growth of the plasma derived therapy system. Effective plasma derived treatments are demanded all over the world with a view to treat the rare diseases which do not find a solution in the modern medicine practice.
The solutions found too many diseases with the help of this treatment procedure has provided a great opportunity to the plasma derived therapy market and is expected to grow in a similar fashion during the coming years. The outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic had a major impact on the growth of this market due to the huge demand of plasma derived therapies all over the world which was successful to show a significant result in treating the complications that were created in the body of the individual pertaining to the infection.
The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and uncommon diseases among the people has emerged as a major growth factor which has helped the market to attain a significant position. Many initiatives have been taken by the government and the private organizations to provide advanced healthcare facilities which will benefit the society to a great extent. Multiple initiatives taken up by the government by providing reimbursement facilities through the insurance companies has helped people to opt for these advanced treatment procedures with a view to obtain maximum results.
Many products have been introduced by the key market players as a result of the rapid research and development programs carried out, which has attracted the potential consumers all over the world. The outbreak of the pandemic had helped the market to record a considerable growth over the period of time as the demand for plasma derived therapies was seen to be at a peak. Increasing number of blood donation drives carried out all over the world has helped to boost the market to a considerable level.
Report Scope of the Plasma Derived Therapy Market
|Market Size in 2023
USD 19.15 Billion
|Market Size by 2032
USD 34.91 Billion
|Growth Rate from 2023 to 2032
||CAGR of 6.9%
||2023 to 2032
||Product, Application and Geography
CSL Behring, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, BPL, ADMA Biologics, Biotest AG, Octapharma, Grifols, Kamada Pharmaceuticals, SK Plasma, SA, Kedrion, Pfizer
Key Market Drivers
- Increasing cases of uncommon diseases - The number of people suffering with uncommon diseases has increased to a great extent which demands the use of special therapeutic treatments such as plasma derived therapy. The outbreak of the pandemic was an example of an uncommon disease in the world which was attempted to treat with the help of plasma derived therapy.
- Increasing demand for advanced technologies for treating genetic disorders - With the rapid advancements that are seen in the healthcare sector, the need for advanced technologies for treating genetic disorders has increased so great extent. The increasing prevalence of genetic disorders among the people has created a threat for the future generations as the condition can become worse when such individuals will produce their offspring. Hence the need for advanced technologies in the therapeutic field becomes important for the health care sector.
- Increase in plasma collection units all over the world - The number of plasma collection units has increased all over the world as the various therapeutic procedures that are carried out with this blood component has increased. The rapidly increasing demand for plasma therapeutic procedures has boosted the size of the market to a great extent. Increasing awareness among the people regarding the available therapeutic options has also led to greater acceptance of these techniques.
- Growing adoption of immunoglobulin all over the world - Increasing awareness among the people regarding the advanced procedures carried out in the healthcare sector has boosted the demand for immunoglobulin therapy. As a result, society has adopted the use of immunoglobulin all over the world for treating a number of diseases that are increasing among the people.
Key Market Challenges
- Strict rules and regulations imposed by the government - The stringent regulations and rules that have been imposed by the government regarding the manufacturing and production of drugs and medicines has challenged the growth of the market to a great extent. A proper study regarding the potential side effects among the people needs to be within the permissible range said by the government, which appears as a major challenge for the manufacturers and the research department. with the increasing awareness among the people regarding the side effects of various drugs and medicines, the plasma derived therapy needs to prove its efficacy by keeping the number of side effects to a minimum number.
- The high cost of the therapeutic procedures - The use of advanced treatment options increases the total cost of treatment and hence imposes an additional pressure on the common people. Rapid fluctuations in the schemes and facilities provided by the government for supporting the people economically has hampered the growth of the market to a great extent.
- Fluctuations in reimbursement policies - Function variations in the reimbursement policies provided by the insurance companies have also made people uncertain regarding the treatment options that they can select for curing themselves. Lack of disposable income available with the people has imposed a major challenge on the growth of the market.
Key Market Opportunities
- Availability of advanced treatment options in the healthcare sector - With the increasing advancement made in the healthcare sector the available treatment options have increased tremendously. This has helped the people to select a suitable treatment option which matches with their disposable income. various facilities which are provided by the government and the private sector has also help the health care sector to attain a greater rate of success even regarding the rare diseases. Rapid advancements which are made in the field of equipment and devices which are used in the healthcare sector has also improved the success rate achieved with the rare diseases.
- Financial assistance provided by reimbursement policies- Financial support is provided to the people upto a certain extent with the help of reimbursement facilities which makes it possible for them to opt for these services. Even if the entire treatment doesn't get covered, a part of it it's taken care off by the reimbursement policies. The huge number of patients what suffering with rare diseases has been taken care off to a great extent by the insurance companies.
On the basis of product, the segment of immunoglobulin plasma has emerged as the fastest growing market as compared to its competitors. The increasing demand of this plasma derived component has attracted the potential consumers considerably. The huge number of chronic diseases that are treated with the help of this immunoglobulin plasma derived component has been a major factor which has helped the market to achieve a considerable position in the global economy and is expected to grow in a similar fashion during the future as well. The other products which are included under this category are albumin derived therapies and coagulation factor which are also showing a considerable growth over the period of time with increasing research and development performed by the key market players.
On the basis of application, the segment of hemophilia has emerged as the fastest growing application as it is a very rare disorder related to bleeding that hampers the normal process of blood clotting. The tremendous growth seen by the market is attributed to the increasing number of cases suffering with hemophilia all over the world especially in the underdeveloped and developed countries.
Or data which was published by world federation of hemophilia around 2020 stated that there are approximately 209, 614 people who are suffering with this disease residing in around 120 countries all over the world. Among these diseases the most prevalent type of hemophilia is hemophilia A. the huge number of patients that exist in the society suffering with this severe disease has a significant impact on the growth of the plasma derived therapy market as it is proved to be and effective treatment procedure which how is the capacity to achieve good results over the period of time.
Plasma Derived Therapy Market Share, By Region, 2022 (%)
||Revenue Share in 2022 (%)
Why North America region is emerging in the plasma derived therapy market?
- The North America has emerged as the largest market for plasma derived therapy. The recent initiatives which are taken by the government and the private bodies with a view to encourage the therapeutic system has helped the market to achieve new heights. The increasing number of plasma collection units in this sector has emerged as a major factor which has boosted the size of the market to a great extent.
- Key market players are conducting collection drives in various parts of the world to boost the size of the market to a great extent. Increasing awareness among the people regarding the benefits of plasma derived therapies has helped the market to record a considerable revenue over the period of time.
- Many favorable initiatives have been undertaken by the government and the key market players to encourage donation of blood which will help to obtain a huge amount of plasma which can be utilized for various therapeutic purposes in the world.
- The huge number of people suffering with rare diseases has helped the market to show a tremendous growth over the period of time as this can be treated with the help of plasma derived therapies. Many leading market players are operating in the region of North America which has made this geographical sector a popular one.
- In July 2020 - a leading producer of plasma derived medicines, Grifols signed an agreement with the company of GC pharma with a view to take over the plasma fractionation facility based in Montreal along with the other plasma collection centers that are based in the US and two facilities of purification. The company was able to expand its limits and boost the market revenue with the help of this strategic movement. The leading position of the company was maintained with this deal.
Key market players
- CSL Behring
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- ADMA Biologics
- Biotest AG
- Kamada Pharmaceuticals
- SK Plasma
Segments covered in the report
(Note*: We offer report based on sub segments as well. Kindly, let us know if you are interested)
- Coagulation factors
- Primary immunodeficiency disease
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
- North America
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)